Don't wait... Life is too short

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Happy Place ......
Is where I am. Where I hoped on being. Where I want to be. Where I plan on being for the next gazillion years. 

However, sometimes it’s just not so easy. Life, work, kids, changes, weather, etc., all get a little overwhelming. Especially when you try to do everything at the same time. Then throw in that I never went to college for business, parenting, life, reading a radar, etc. I went to school for something totally different then what my life is right now. Nothing at all to be exact. Then I am thinking and wishing everything comes with a user manual to make it a little easier.  Especially the kids part (LOL), but most of all the business end. That part I never had any interest in nor anticipating on needing to know.

So here I am, trying like heck to learn and figure out this business thing. I got the kid and life portion down. Changes and weather I think are in the same category and both I can handle fairly good as well. Even though you can’t trust the weather man and you can never predict any changes. 

I am one that truly believes in learning continuously, it is very important in any profession as well as life. Probably has to do with the previous profession I had when continuing education was a requirement. So when I tried to learn about business, I seriously did not think it would be so difficult. I mean how hard can it be? You open a few books, google a hundred million times, read some blogs, ask a few questions, listen to others and try to adapt and apply. Right? Wrong!! I tried a million things. Which really, there is nothing wrong with that in my opinion? Try.. Analyze.. Change. Retry ... analyze.. Change and so on and so on. You get the idea. Well, after doing that for a while it get’s old. You loose confidence and hope. Disappointed and frustrated I looked for help. 

Facebook is a wonderful thing. Are you a fan of mine by the way? No? Head on over there and click LIKE.  It’s what I did when I saw a thing called Easy as Pie. I mean who wouldn’t want to click on something like that. After researching and reading and LOVING everything I was seeing. Here is this photographer talking all about the business end of owning a photography business. Now remember, this is something I knew nothing about and everything she seemed to. Then I found out that she started out the same way I did. Knew nothing about business. To make it easier on fellow photographers, she started writing a books. Yes, a book. I said, “ WHAT, REALLY, ARE YOU KIDDING ME? ' she had my complete attention. I continued to sign up to her Free Business 101 E-course. Occasionally, I would receive one of her emails with important business stuff. I read it and fell even more in love with this women. By now I am thinking proposal. LOL. Then she comes out with a new book called The Happy Place. I read her first chapter as always and was hooked, line and sinker. A business plan! I am thinking marriage at this point. I bought it and read it and I am so happy and excited. So easy to read and relate. I swear she’s been secretly watching me. She points out everything there is to point out. Mistakes, ideas, plans, worksheets, etc., but the thing that got me the most besides her humor was the love she has for life. The ONE thing she says to keep in mind during this whole change. Exactly the thing that has been eating me up the most. Trying to balance and learn it all. Family and Business. SO, not only does she hand me the information on pretty much a silver platter, but she also relates to me. Helping in life style change as well as business. 
With all that said, I am very excited to make positive changes in my business here at Photography by Alexandra Delatorre to make things better for me, my family and my awesome clients, present and future. Changes that will NOT have to be tried, reanalyzed and changed again. I do understand that things will have to be tweaked  here and there and that is okay. Knowing that my new found friend ( I call her my friend now since she saved my butt) will be here for help and continuing encouragement as well as new information or shall we say always something up her sleeve. 
If you are a photographer starting out or have been in business for a while and need the same kick in the butt like I did, or you are simply just fed up with how things are running in your LIFE and BUSINESS, then you need to get a hold of:
Alicia Caine
You can find her at:
To Alicia,  Thank you is not exactly the right phrase, nor does it seem enough but it is the simplest one. I am forever grateful. You are an inspiration and so funny. I love reading your stuff and learning from you, it is an every day adventure. I am looking forward to many more years with you. Please don’t worry, I wont propose or marry you, not sure my hubby would approve. LOL 
Love, a.: ) 

No comments: